Bigfoot Adventures is proud to provide Auckland Transport’s “Bike Safe” programme. This fully funded and free initiative, bought to you in partnership with NZTA, fits perfectly within the Year 5 to Year 8 curriculum.
Bike Skills training develops students’ cycling ability and teaches them how to ride their bikes safely. There has been a huge trend towards students cycling to school and we seek to equip these students with the necessary skills to increase their awareness of road and pathway cycling.
The training is delivered by Bigfoot Adventures Ltd. Their qualified instructors are passionate about teaching cycling skills and providing a fun, safe and hands-on programme.
Outcomes for your students include; students using cycling as a viable means of transport, sharing our roads and pathways with care and being active and healthy.
Grade 1 and Grade 2 Programme Information
- The Grade 1 sessions take place inside school grounds and Grade 2 will be delivered out on local quiet roads. The Grade 1 sessions are for Y5/6 students and covers such skills as helmet fitting, bike checks, handling, using gears and signals.
- The Grade 1 course comprises approximately 2 x 1 ½ hour sessions per class which will take place during class time. Ratios for the training will be 1 instructor for up to 15 students.
- Grade 2 is tailored for year 7/8 students covering skills such as; understanding road rules, passing parked cars, turning, travelling through intersections and roundabouts.
- Grade 2 course comprises approximately 4 x 1 ½ hour sessions per class which will take place during class time. Ratios for this training will be 1 instructor for up to 6 students.
- Grade 1 and 2 combined is 6 x 1 ½ hour sessions per class.
- All equipment including bikes and helmets for students- we encourage students to bring their own if they have them.
- Instructors to deliver the programme.
- Risk Management paperwork.
- A class schedule for the day(s) the programme will be delivered in your school.
- A teacher handbook with activity ideas, curriculum links and tips for lead teachers.
Bigfoot Adventures, working in conjunction with Auckland Transport, NZTA and the ACC welcome the opportunity to with your school to deliver an inclusive, safe and fun Bike Skills programme. We very much look forward to working with your school and your students in the very near future.